The Peace Arch Hospital Auxiliary was organized in 1948 to help raise funds for the building of a hospital in White Rock. The Auxiliary became a separate society under the Societies Act in April 1998. For over 70 years, the Auxiliary members have volunteered time and effort to help their community hospital, raising funds for equipment and bringing smiles to Acute Care patients and Long Term Care residents.
Message from the President
The Peace Arch Hospital Auxiliary Society was formed in 1948 to raise funds in support of establishing a hospital in White Rock. Women in the community that were passionate about having a proposed hospital locate in White Rock banded together and formed the first Auxiliary Group called Goodwill. They canvassed the White Rock community going door to door eventually raising $2,000.00 dollars in support of the hospital. In 1950 the Semiahmoo Group was formed and both these Groups are still active today raising funds for our projects.
In 2015 we made our largest single donation in our history of 1.5 million dollars to the Emergency Department Expansion. We are very proud to be the major donor for this campaign.
For the past 71 years the Auxiliary has purchased over 15 million dollars of equipment for Peace Arch Hospital. In 2006/08 we contributed one million dollars to the purchase of the MRI. In 2009/10 we donated one million dollars to the renovation of the Maternity Unit. In 2015 we made a commitment of one million five hundred thousand for the expansion of the Emergency Department. This year we have just made a commitment to the upgrade and expansion of the Surgical suites for one million dollars. We also made a commitment of five hundred thousand dollars to the Residential Care 4th floor of the new Peace Arch Hospital Foundation Lodge in memory of a member and donor Mariette (Mimi) Chan.
Throughout our history, Auxiliary members have worked very hard to raise funds enabling us to purchase equipment for all areas of the hospital, provide patient comforts and make substantial commitments towards major projects within the hospital campus, We are extremely grateful to all our volunteers for their dedication in helping the Peace Arch Hospital Auxiliary achieve such incredible accomplishments.
We have over 225 members that are volunteering in the Superfluity Thrift Shop, the Gift Shop located in the hospital main lobby and in our Groups that raise funds through bake, jewellery and craft sales, Golf Tournaments, Bridge Tournament Luncheons, Garage Sales, Barbeques, Christmas Events, and Music Concerts.
Volunteering is a great way to give back to the community and your hospital, ” it does your heart good”. If you are interested in becoming a member of the Peace Arch Hospital Auxiliary Society and volunteering, membership applications are available at our Superfluity Thrift Shop, at the Information Desk located in the lobby Peace Arch Hospital and on our website www.pahas.ca . We also are on Facebook “Peace Arch Hospital Auxiliary Society”.
Our Motto is “Having Fun Raising Funds”, think about joining us. We are a very social group!
Peace Arch Hospital Auxiliary Society